Friday, April 1, 2016

The Raven-POV edited

It was truly a crappy night. The storm was becoming too unbearable even for me to tolerate and I came from the streets! Feathers soaked from all the heavy rain, I beat my wings as fast as I could until I found any sign of shelter. As I was running out of time, I spotted a mansion below me. It was big, roomy, and quite possibly it had some nooks or crannies for me to rest. I’m smarter than the average raven; I understand some people words since, as I said before, I came from the streets and there are a ton of people from my neighborhood. Anyway, I found one word that i was particularly interested in for some weird reason. Nevermore.
I saw a light through the window, so I knew someone must’ve been home. Lightning cracked across the sky and I figured this was my only chance to avoid the worst of the storm. As painful as it was, I hit myself against the door, asking for an invitation to enter. "Please open the door! I don't wanna die out here!" I screamed in my head. After a little bit of time, it opened and my interest piqued as this guy opened it. He really looked like crap. I was only interested since he kept talking to the darkness and then to me once he saw me. Without hesitation, I flew into his fancy-schmancy, rich, white guy home and perched on a stone feminine head. Hey, there wasn't a "Please do not touch the artwork" sign. Besides, a raven's gotta perch when a raven wants to perch.
Well, this dude creeped me out. He kept talking to me. Normally, people would ignore me or try to chase me away (but I usually end up flying to some corner of the house where I know they wouldn’t find me). However, this guy was staring at me and trying to talk with me. This was getting really weird. I wasn’t asking for much. I needed a place to stay for the night until I could get back on my feet. Nothing more.
Anyway, when I finally realized that he was talking and when I also realized I said, “Nevermore,” he asked me if I was leaving. Of course, I was going to leave! Obviously not right away, but I was. I wanted to tell him, “Yes, I will be, but only if this stupid storm ends soon.” Unfortunately for the both of us, I said, “Nevermore.” Great. He kept going off on that.
Then this guy asked me in his weirdly poetic rambling about if he would forget this “Lenore,” whoever she was. I was trying so hard to tell him that I knew nothing of Lenore and I didn't care.  But of course, the only word I said was “Nevermore.” I really felt bad this dude until he decided to yell and get mad at me. It’s not like I had anything to do with Lenore. I wasn't screwing around with her so he shouldn't be mad. Then he begged me for any knowledge of “balm in Gilead.” I didn’t know if it had any deeper meaning since I didn’t understand whether or not it was a reference. I responded with my one-word phrase, hoping that by some miracle it translated as “I don’t understand the reference. Please restate the question.”

No comments:

Post a Comment